Frequently Asked Questions about Powerpoints

At the first sign of damage or electrical faults you should replace a powerpoint − or at least consider it.

If the outlet cover is cracked or there are visible scorch marks around the socket, replacement is necessary.

Meanwhile, if you notice sparking when inserting a plug, contact a licensed electrician to investigate the issue further. Your wiring could well be damaged or faulty.

Faulty outlets are one of the most common causes of an electrical fire. Age can be a contributing factor as the wiring breaks down and becomes hazardous. Overloaded powerpoints, powerboards or old appliances are also a serious risk.

Damaged, worn or frayed appliances, powerpoints and power cords should never be used. The risk for an electrical fire is just too high.

Yes, most definitely! All new devices such as mobile phones, tablets, smart watches, and more, require USB points to charge. They are also increasingly NOT coming with adaptors.

The addition of a USB powerpoint – or several – to the home provides an easy way for you to charge devices. There’s no need to hunt for an old adaptor which is shared around, or to unplug the laptop which is on 10 per cent.

Instead, you can charge a phone alongside other appliances, fast and efficiently.

While there are a plethora of terms in the world, socket and outlet mean the same thing! Essentially they are two sides of the same coin.

Some would say a socket is where you plug in another object. That’s why there are power sockets and light sockets. Meanwhile, an outlet is something electricity comes out of. Hence the power outlet.

But both meanings are used for the same powerpoint. Different languages may refer to both, or just one or the other. It can certainly be confusing when there are so many names thrown around.